Toronto, June 24, 2020– The Toronto chapter of the American Marketing Association (AMA Toronto) is proud to announce the class of 2020 inductees into Canada’s Marketing Hall of Legends (CMHOL), one of Canada’s most respected and renowned industry awards. For over 12 years, nomination and induction into Canada’s Marketing Hall of Legends has been a widely recognized mark of distinction and one of the most coveted awards celebrating the careers of our industry’s most successful leaders.
Joe Jackman, Nancy Marcus, Morris Saffer, Brian Scudamore, and Anthony von Mandl have been selected by a committee of their peers as standout exemplars of the Canadian advertising and marketing industry and are recognized for their impact on the Canadian and International marketplace, and their contributions back to the marketing community.
“On behalf of AMA-Toronto, it is my honour to welcome this esteemed group of leaders to Canada’s Marketing Hall of Legends. To acknowledge and recognize their achievements and contributions serves and inspires our entire community,” says Michelle Flynn, President of AMA-Toronto.
This year’s honourees were selected by a Jury Committee, made up of a distinguished and diverse group of marketing experts and chaired by 2014 Inductee David Kincaid, Founder and Managing Partner, Level5 Strategy. “To be recognized and acknowledged by one’s own peers is, they say, the greatest form of compliment. To be recognized and acknowledged as a true leader, who has helped shape and influence an industry and a profession is, I would say, an achievement few can claim and one to be rightfully very proud of”, says Kincaid. “This year’s Canada’s Marketing Hall of Legends Inductees have done both. I speak for my fellow jurists who had the privilege of reviewing, debating and selecting these Legends in extending a warm and deserved congratulations. You inspire us all.”
CMHOL’s 2020 Legends are:
● Joe Jackman, CEO of Jackman Reinvents, the world’s first and foremost reinvention company. Joe has been an advisor to consumer brands, retailers, B2B companies, and private equity partners for more than thirty years. Throughout his career, he has helped companies create the most powerful and relevant versions of their brands and businesses.
“It is truly a great honour to be inducted into Canada’s Marketing Hall of Legends by the American Marketing Association. While I have practiced across North America for many years, I’ve long felt that Canada is a proving ground for some of the best marketers in the world. With its unique characteristics—not only a vast geography with relatively low density but also a smaller economy by global standards—Canada demands marketers do more with less, continually innovate and break new ground creatively, and partner with others to achieve their goals. The invitation to join this august group of trailblazers by my Canadian peers, those who have led the way and shone the light for so many including me, is a dream come true. I will count it as one of the most cherished highlights of my career,” says Joe.
● Nancy Marcus, one of Canada’s most recognized marketing professionals in the consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry. Nancy has been a marketing leader for companies like Phillip Morris, RJR MacDonald and Kruger Products. In addition, she has helped to redefine the role of women in the industry.
“I am overwhelmed and honoured to be inducted as a marketing legend having spent the past forty years in the CPG industry launching, protecting and building Canadian brands. This recognition is meaningful as it reflects the impact and effectiveness of having one elevate the value of Marketing in the boardroom and permeate its significance throughout the organization. I have been inspired by my Marketing teams, agencies and partners who have enabled me to lead change and deliver corporate results while celebrating our successes together,” says Nancy.
● Morris Saffer, Chairman of Saffer Retail, a Retail agency which develops data-driven digital strategies, integrating creative and media. In his illustrious career, Morris founded the first advertising agency specializing in retailing clients, including The Hudson Bay Co, General Motors Dealers, Firestone and Home Hardware, among others. In addition, he owned David’s Bridal and co-founded the Chicago based American Retail Advertising and Marketing Association. He was the youngest, and only the second Canadian, elected to the American Retail Advertising Hall of Fame. And Morris received the inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award from the Marketing division of the Retail Council of Canada.
“After a long career pioneering, and legitimizing, ‘The Store as a Brand’, it is especially rewarding to be recognized by my mainstream marketing peers. There was a long period when ‘Retail Advertising’ was not considered the strategic, or creative, equal of ‘National Advertising’. Those days are long gone and, in fact, digital, data-driven marketing has turned us all into ‘Retailers’ in one way or another,” says Morris.
● Brian Scudamore, a serial entrepreneur, founder of home-service brands such as 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, WOW 1 DAY PAINTING, Shack Shine and author. Through franchising, he is giving thousands of aspiring entrepreneurs the chance to live their dreams of business ownership.
“Building a successful brand requires a huge team effort. Being selected for Canada’s Marketing Hall of Legends is a reflection of our team’s marketing innovation and relentless pursuit of brand excellence”, says Brian.
● Anthony von Mandl, O.C., O.B.C. is the Founder & CEO of The Mark Anthony Group of Companies, one of North America’s most diversified and successful private beverage companies that has disrupted the alcohol sector with innovative brands such as Mike’s Hard Lemonade and White Claw Hard Seltzer. He is also the Proprietor of a collection of wineries and estate vineyards in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley, including the iconic Mission Hill Family Estate. Anthony was appointed as an Officer of the Order of Canada and he is also the recipient of the Order of British Columbia; both honors recognize his innovative contributions to enhancing Canada’s international reputation in the wine industry.
“This Hall of Legends induction is much more than an acknowledgement of what has been accomplished, it is a confirmation of what can be achieved when one has an unwavering commitment to their vision. My life’s work has been focused on overcoming obstacles by innovation, taking risks in the pursuit of creating the unexpected, and challenging the norms to create inspirational brands that ignite passion and spark curiosity in the hearts and minds of consumers. Despite all we have achieved, we take nothing for granted, remain humble, and our success – including this acknowledgement from the American Marketing Association – only inspires us to push the boundaries of innovation and creativity even further.”
The spotlight and recognition of this year’s new inductees to the Hall will continue throughout the year with new content and programming, including an invite-only dinner honouring the Legends, and new additions to CMHOL’s Legendary Leadership Event Series. Subsequent events in the Legendary Leadership series this year will explore the stories, achievements, influence and learnings of these Legends, engaging the marketing community in thoughtful conversation about industry and social trends and innovations.
The 2020/21 presenting sponsor for CMHOL and its Legendary Leadership Series is Architech, a Toronto-based software company with over 15 years of Digital Transformation for clients across North America by leveraging the latest cloud technology and hiring top talent to modernize applications.
About Canada’s Marketing Hall of Legends (CMHOL)
Founded in 2004, the Canadian Marketing Hall of Legends honours Canadians who have dedicated their lives to the pursuit of excellence in the field of marketing. The award, created to spotlight the stories, people and brands behind Canada’s greatest marketing successes, recognizes a noteworthy body of work and a lifetime of achievements. Nominations for induction are held annually. An independent panel of top marketing professionals evaluates each year’s list of nominees. This year’s Jury Committee include:
– David Kincaid- Founder and Managing Partner, Level5 Strategy Group
– Jack Bensimon – President & Founding Partner, Bensimon Byrne
– Andrea Southcott – Partner, Redshift Collective
– Noel O’Dea – President and Founder, Target Marketing & Communications Inc.
– Ian Gordon – Senior Vice President, Loblaw Brands Ltd.
– Jennifer Gerlach Martin – Senior Director, Shoppers Drug Mart
– Tony Chapman – Branding Expert, Podcaster
– Andrew Black – General Partner, BrandProject
– Steve Wallace – Chief Marketing & Commercial Officer, Alpine Canada
– Mike Nethercott – Managing Partner, Deloitte Canada
– David Brown – Founder and Editor, The Message
– Judy Davey – Vice President, Association of Canadian Advertisers
– Ken Wong – Distinguished Professor of Marketing, Queen’s University’s Smith School of Business
About AMA Toronto
The Toronto Chapter of the American Marketing Association (AMA) is a not-for-profit community of volunteer marketers who have been creating opportunities for personal and business growth for more than 70 years in Canada. The AMA, with more than 30,000 members and 70 chapters across North America, is the largest marketing association in the world serving organizations and individuals who practice, teach and study marketing. To learn more about the Toronto chapter of the AMA visit AMA-Toronto.com.
● Since 2004, the CMHOL has inducted 83 Canadian luminaries, including 24 visionaries, 24 enablers, 23 builders and 12 mentors
● The criteria for CMHOL selection includes the overall impact that marketing professionals have demonstrated in the Canadian or global marketplace through their ideas and contributions to marketing and brand building
● The CMHOL brings together Canadian marketers, media, agencies and academic communities to select candidates whom they feel meet and exceed these criteria
● The annual CMHOL event was paused in 2018 to allow the association to rethink and refresh the award show brand to better serve the marketing community
● Details of the Legendary Leadership series, as well as the 2020 nomination process, and induction event, are housed on the AMA-Toronto website.
Marketing Hall of Legends
For further information please contact:
Manager, Public Relations, AMA Toronto